April 5, 2012

feeling crunchy

It’s rainy, my kids are not napping, and we have run out of things to do. Oh, and our car is in the shop, so we are sort of stranded.

I found this AWESOME website that has a homemade recipe for about everything, so I figure why not try a few?

I decided to attempt the Man-Smell Killer Deodorant”, and the “tooth scrub”.  These appealed to me because they seemed easy and I already had most of the ingredients. 
Also, I can be stinky. I have tried all kinds of natural deodorants, but they just don't get the job done. At one point, I was even using man’s deodorant! What? It works better than woman’s. 

I found both of these recipes on Mommypotus. The pictures are also from her website. I figure why mess with a good thing?

So, here ya go. 

  1. equal parts aluminum free baking soda and either arrowroot powder or GMO-free cornstarch (I use about ½ cup baking soda and 1/2 cup arrowroot)
  2. mix with coconut oil until moist and then store in a jar
  3. seriously. that’s it.
Quick Tips: Rub a SMALL amount in using your fingertips until it’s invisible. It works that well! (plus if you cake it on it can leave oil stains on your clothes). Store in an a reused glass jar. You get the benefits of a resealable container AND the certainty that no toxins will leech into your skin via container (plastic containers leech over time).


Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon Dr. Bronner’s Baby Mild
  • 4 tablespoons melted coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon water
  • 20-40 drops essential oil (cinnamon, peppermint, spearmint, anise, fennel – or whatever you like. Number of drops varies based on the strength of the essential oil)
  • 1 -1½ tablespoons raw honey or a few drops stevia extract
Note: If you us honey some will settle at the bottom. Just stir a bit with the dropper before using.
Instructions:
  1. In a bowl, mix water, 1 tablespoon honey and olive oil until well blended.
  2. Add remaining ingredients and whisk thoroughly. Add remaining ½ tablespoon (½ teaspoon) honey if needed.
  3. Pour mixture into a vial with dropper or soap dispenser (be sure to label it!) and use!
Next, I am going to try and tackle the shampoo bar. I will let you how that goes!

And since this post was a little boring, I will leave you with this. Hilarious!


No comments: